I’ll preface this review by saying I actually haven’t seen any of the other Purge movies. I thought, if there was any time for me to jump into the franchise, it would be at the prequel (other than the first one obviously).
Basically, I wanted to review this movie based off if it’s a “good prequel” based on the fact that I wouldn’t know any callbacks to the other movies.
So let’s just get into my thoughts on this movie.
After the rise of a third political party, the New Founding Fathers of America, an experiment is conducted, no laws for 12 hours on Staten Island. No one must stay during the experiment yet there is $5,000 for anyone who does.
GENRE – Action / Horror
RATING – R
RUNTIME – 1 H 38 MIN
DIRECTOR – Gerard McMurray
STARRING – Y’lan Noel, Lex Scott Davis, Joivan Wade
SPOOK FACTOR – 1 / 5 SPOOKS
- I liked the idea of the New Founding Fathers. I’m assuming that is something introduced in the previous movies, but as a new viewer, I found this political party really unsettling.
- Y’lan Noel was actually a really good actor. I would love to see him in other movies in the future.
- Some of the masks were pretty creepy. I love me a good mask.
Dislikes – (Where to even start……)
- Ok so I guess the worst thing about this movie was how many good ideas they passed up. Like, instead of having interesting plot points and twists, they just chose to have the main characters be idiots and run around during the purge. Every time the characters walked out into the danger I straight up just wanted them to die.
- The acting (other than Noel who I mentioned earlier) was pretty cringe-worthy. I’m not sure if the actors have potential with better directors but it was painful to watch them in this movie.
- This is supposed to be a horror movie and it was not at all horrifying. I found the scenes that were supposed to be scary either boring or laughable. I was so disappointed by this because I really wanted to be on the edge of my seat.
- I think the last point is partially because of the tone inconsistencies. There were scenes that could have been suspenseful were ruined because of terrible comic relief or heavy-handed political messages.
- This is a nitpick but something that bothered me the most in the movie. The people who were participating in the purge were given contacts with cameras in them so the government guys could see what they see. Two issues with this :
- Could you wear these contacts over contacts you use to see? If not, no one was wearing glasses over their contacts so does everyone in the purge universe have 20/20 vision?
- The contacts were all DIFFERENT COLORS. Like some peoples were purple, some were green, and some were blue. Did the scientist just let them pick their favorite color? Did the colors mean something? I may never know…
- These last two dislikes are the ones that made me really like the movie less. First of all, the political messages were so heavy-handed. This is coming from someone who probably agrees with the messages they are trying to teach the viewers, but it was absolutely annoying to have this shoved down my throat. (PS I know it is an exploitation film but they could have been more graceful with their message).
- The final one was I really disagreed with some of their choices. Like ok, we are following people in a low socioeconomic area so maybe they sell drugs out of necessity. I get that. But the other hero was a drug-lord kind of guy but they really romanticized this. He wasn’t an anti-hero or anything, he was just a bad guy. I don’t believe he had any personal growth throughout the movie so we are just supposed the be a fan of a murderer and a drug dealer? No thanks.
- STORY 2/5 (Too heavy hand. Not suspenseful enough)
- CHARACTERS 2/5 (EW no thanks)
- FILM-MAKING 2/5 (The one actor was good but other than that I thought it was less than mediocre.)
- ENJOYMENT 2/5 (I was very bored while watching this movie.)
ALL IN ALL, I GIVE THIS 2 COLORED CONTACTS OUT OF 5!
Have you seen this movie? What did you think about it?
Should I watch the rest of The Purge movies?
Thanks for reading and keep it spooky!
Check out my last post on my REVIEW of The Stand – Stephen King HERE!
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA